Frank E VandiverFrank E. Vandiver, past president of Texas A&M University, is director of the Mosher Institute for Defense Studies at Texas A&M. He is well known for his writings on the Civil War and military history, including Mighty Stonewall, Their Tattered Flags: The Epic of the Confederacy, Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing, and Blood Brothers: A Short History of the Civil War, all available from Texas A&M University Press.
VANDER VEER BOTANICAL PARK
Brady Street and Central Park Avenue; conservatory with a gift shop and five major floral displays, rose garden with fountain, playground equipment, and a lagoon that is used for fishing in summer and ice skating in winter. (This 33-acre site originally was purchased as a fairgrounds. It was acquired by the Davenport Park Board in 1890 and named Central Park, like the one in New York. It was renamed Vander Veer shortly after the death of Abraham Wilson Vander Veer in 1911, who served as the board's first secretary. Davenport, Iowa
The Vandiver Inn was constructed in 1886 and is located on Union Avenue in Havre de Grace, Maryland. It is one of the most architecturally and
historically significant properties in town. Murray Vandiver was an active figure in the political life of Maryland. He built the house as a wedding gift for his wife, Annie Clayton Vandiver. The home reflects the wealth and prominence of Murray Vandiver who served as a member of the Maryland House of Delegates, State Treasurer and IRS appointee under President Grover Cleveland. Murray Vandiver also was the Mayor of Havre de Grace.
Jacob Van Der Veer House
The Jacob Van Der Veer house in Bath, North Carolina, where Jacob Van Der Veer was a partner with Joseph Bonner in an early steam sawmill and also owned a rope manufacturing operation near Bath, North Carolina c. 1790.
Vandiver Hall was dedicated in 1991. It is named for Col. Thomas C. Vandiver, Citadel 1929, and Vice Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Visitors of The Citadel. Col. Vandiver served on the Board of Visitors for 33 years and received an culhonorary Doctor of Law degree in 1979, followed by the Palmetto Award in 1986. The building is situated between Seignious Hall and the McAlister Field House. The first floor provides dressing rooms for the soccer, wrestling, track/cross country, and golf teams of The Citadel as well as offices for coaches of the various teams. Also on the first floor are shower facilities, locker rooms for visiting teams, and a conference room. The second floor holds a wrestling practice area, a golf practice area, and a batting area for the baseball team.
The Vanderveer house (left house in photo) was originally located in Pluckemin, New Jersey, was transported to and reconstructed in 1976 to it's present location as part of a collection of 14 structures located at East Jersey Ole Town, Piscataway, New Jersey. This house was the original homestead of Jacobus Vanderveer, son of Cornelius Jansz Dominicus Vanderveer and was built around 1745. Approx 1820, a Federal addition was was built and the original house became the kitchen and servant quarters. In 1970 the Federal addition was razed and the original house was moved to East Jersey Ole Town where it remains today.
Vanderveer Knox House
This house was built by Jacob Vanderveer, grandson of Cornelius Jansz Dominicus Vanderveer, across the river from his father's homestead (above) about 1772-1778. The dwelling became famous as the winter home of General Henry Knox and his family during the winter of 1778-1779 while General Washington commanded the Continental Army which was camped nearby in Pluckemin. Henry Knox accompanied George Washington in the memorable crossing of the Delaware to escape the British. At the beginning of that boat trip, Washington nudged him with the toe of his boot and said "Shift that fat ---, Harry-but slowly, or you’ll swamp the --- --- boat." A little tidbit they didn't teach you in high school American History. The house was purchased in 1989 by the Bedminster Township and with a grant, is being restored and will house a museum for the exhibition of artifacts from the Park of the Artillery.
Vandiver Corn Planter
John Vandiver b. March 12, 1813, Hampshire Co, Virginia
invented of the first practical 2-row corn planter in 1863.